Monday, November 17, 2008

The phantom of the opera

I got all spontaneous last week (which is most unlike me - I am a control freak - out and proud!), and I went up t'opera. I had to go down south for a conference, more of which later, and hoped to meet up with a colleague of mine who is living in London temporarily. She is from the US, and is really making the most of her time in London. So she was going to the ROH to see Elektra, and suggested I joined her. I did. I got a very cheap seat, practically in the rafters, and off we went. And I have to say it was great.

Now, Opera isn't really my thing - I have only been to one live opera before, and I left at the interval. It was Gloriana, and I'm sorry - it was rubbish! I have only ever left a live performance early once before in my life - that was a musical version of Scrooge at the Opera House in Manchester. Both of these events were free tickets - I wonder if I would have stayed longer if I'd actually paid for the seats?

And....I had no idea you got subtitles at the Opera! What a brilliant idea. Could have done with those at Gloriana, and that was in bloody English....In posts passim I have mentioned that I am hearing impaired, and although I did actually have my hearing aid with me for a change...AND the Opera House loop system was working (not a given in public places, unfortunately)...I really loved having the subs.

Oh, and what a corking story....so much blood...so much emotion...so much wild dancing....so much falling down, overwhelmed. That was the performers, btw, not me. I was, however, actually, literally, on the edge of my seat.

I don't think I am now an opera convert. This was a particularly exciting show, and a particularly short show. One hour, 45 minutes, and no interval. However, the husband did (somewhat hopefully) leave a pile of Richard Strauss CDs in my study. I have put them back in his room....let's not go barmy!

But, having enjoyed this one...you never know...I might go to another one someday. Maybe some of my blogging friends might like to suggest some titles a still slightly opera-phobic might enjoy?

The evening was rounded off by dinner and beer at Belgo, which was nice....but being a Belgian beer aficionado, I was vaguely disappointed...dunno why...maybe I built it up to much much.

6 comments:

Ms Scarlet said...

I've not been to an Opera. The ballet and musicals... but not opera. You are very brave...
Sx

Grump said...

I have been to a few if you had to start anywhere you would try Verdi, Puccini Bizet who wrote Carmen. And of course Mozart the Marriage of Figaro.
I love some of opera it takes you where not much else can. But some is as boring as bat shit.
Thanks for the post.
Mark

Lucy Fishwife said...

I got brought up on "improving art" ie opera/ballet etc - although I can honestly say all it taught me was that "The Magic Flute" is fun and ballerinas sweat like carthorses. My husband took me to the opera a few years ago for my birthday but rather sweetly booked something totally on spec, knowing nothing about it, assuming as it was Handel at the ENO it would be fine. It turned out to be an experimental production that featured a full frontal nude ballet halfway through. Blimey O'Reilly you should have heard the gasps of shock from the slightly older patrons.

French Fancy... said...

Hello fellow control freak. I don't know why we get such a bad press.l Isn't it better to know what is best for everyone and everything under the sun

Glad you enjoyed the opera. I actually quite like the medium but there's not a lot of it in Brittany - absolutely none, really :)


word veri was dites - quite good for someone based in France

Kevin Musgrove said...

Ah.. a nice bit of opera. Subtitles are a brilliant idea for the plot-heavy operas. For some reason I find it makes it easier to let go of the story and enjoy the noise.

I used to get dragged out to a lot of dance, which I didn't really enjoy unless it involved a small venue and danseuses in leotards. In those cases it was only polite to tag along.

The Ferrets said...

Personally, I think Richard Strauss constitutes 'cruel and unusual' punishment - what on earth did you do to deserve that?!

Elektra's a one act opera isn't it? So you might try more of those so that you don't get too bored. It's not exactly chirpy is it? As the man sitting next to Mr H turned to him and said at the end of it, "We had to wait a long time for the laughs, didn't we?".

I avoid anything where the herione dies coughing, so Mozart tends to get my vote. But we did see a great ballet version or Carmen a few years back, which involved the main characters rolling around on a bed in very skimpy underwear. It was Mr H's first visit to the ballet and he was mightily impressed...