Wednesday, January 07, 2009

January...sick and tired...

Better late than never, a christmas and new year post.

Christmas was very nice chez Robinson, not least because it was mum's turn to do the cooking honours. We had the stepchildren (or rather, step adults, as they are 28 and 31). Laura was a poppet, in good spirits as Santa seemed to have exceeded her expectations.

And what was stuffed in my stocking, I hear you cry. Well, books mostly. At least three female friends and acquaintances were given bracelets by their other halves...two even went out and chose them without being told which ones to buy. The husband has been informed of this, and hopefully has stored this information away for future reference. [God, I am an ungrateful witch, aren't I?]

Mostly for Kate's benefit, here are the new acquisitions on the LibraryLizzie shelves (not in any order...not even Dewey):

Redemption Falls.
The rain before it falls.
Nul Points.
It's not a rehearsal.
Kenneth Williams unseen
The blackest streets
The suspicions of Mr Whicher
Egg dancing
Austerity Britain
Perfumes
Dry store room 1
Call the midwife
Who do you think you are?

I know I haven't included the authors...that's to make you click on the links. And I'm sure there is at least one more book...possibly two...

New Year was fab - down in Christchurch. Grown up (ish) dinner party and a game of Piss Artist, which me and my team mate Nick won!

Now, everything is over for another year. The decorations are packed away, and I have got viral laryngitis...which is apparently better than having the bacterial kind.

Back at work with the same old annoyances. Clearly certain colleagues didn't think "stop pissing off Librarylizzie is a big way" was worthy of a new year's resolution. My resolution? To try not to let certain colleagues piss me off....

7 comments:

Ms Scarlet said...

Sorry to hear about the laryngitis... I had it. Very peculiar experience.
Sx

Kevin Musgrove said...

Ooh... product placement.

It might help to think of certain colleagues dressed in bondage gear. (-:

librarylizzie said...

eeuugghhhh...Kev...I've not had me breakfast yet!

Mrs Pouncer said...

Happy new year, Lizzie! Gargling is good.

Kate said...

Great list. Do you know I didn't get a single book for Christmas. Or a bracelet come to think of it. Anyway what I want to know is what you will read first.... Happy NY xx

librarylizzie said...

Get a grip, Braithwaite! It is 10th january. Surely you mean, which ones have I already finished! I did "Mr Whicher" first. Very good. Then " midwife" - interesting, but not terribly well written. Am now half way through "Dry Store Room 1" and have started "Death of a slum".

Kate said...

Sorry dear - I don't know what I was thinking. Mr Whicher is one I would have read by now too. Here in Snow-land books are very pricey so I am reading all the books I have bought and never read. It's....interesting.