Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sitting in the back row of the movies...part 1

[very overdue with this....I was so intimidated...]

Oh horror. I have been invited by Uncle Kevin to select my 12 must see movies. Now the pressure is on to appear like an intellectual with an enormous knowledge and appreciation of obscure cinema. Bugger...and I was going to start with "Carry on up the Khyber".

Therefore, welcome to Librarylizzie's Film Festival: for those cinema viewers who want a bit of a laugh, a warm'n'fuzzy moment or two, and certainly don't want to have to concentrate when they are stuffing their faces with malteasers.

Day 1: let's start as we mean to go on, by lowering the tone immediately, and having a Carry On movie...Carry on Screaming I think.. A spoof of the Hammer Horror movies, and unique, I think, for featuring Harry H Corbet and Fenella Fielding, neither of whom appeared in any subsequent of the carry on series. I love these movies. Low-brow, vulgar, and harking bark to an era I'm frankly glad I didn't experience, where it is acceptable for old men to lech over young school girls, and were a fat woman is considered hilariously funny just for being fat...especially if she is attracted to a slim man, because, of course, who could possibly find a larger woman attractive! But off my soap box...I still enjoy the movies, and the typically british, seaside postcard humour, and of course, the word play and double entrendres. My favourite isn't actually in this movie. It is in Carry on Abroad, with Peter Butterworth as a Spanish hotel owner, and Kenneth Williams as the tour group leader. Kenneth is introducing himself to the owner: "Stuart Farquar"...."Stupid what?".....ha ha ha ...gets me everytime!

1 comment:

Kevin Musgrove said...

Excellent choice! Frying tonight!

Nothing wrong with Carry On Up The Khyber either!