Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sitting in the back row...part 2 & 3


Now that we've softened you up, let's continue the horror theme with Nosferatu, directed by Murnau in 1922. Essentially it is Bram Stoker's Dracula with the names changed. As many of you know, I do moan (incessently some might say) about my husband's hobbies and interests. But, sometimes, when I get off my high horse for long enough, he does come up with some corking movies, and this is most certainly one of them. Normally, mention of a 1920's silent movie sends me running for the Carry On box set, but Max Shreck's Count Orlock (Dracula) is just so scary looking!



Part 3....Shadow of the Vampire...and the audience is looking at me in a puzzled manner..."Haven't we just seen this?" Well, sort of...Shadow of the Vampire is a movie about the making of Nosferatu, with the intriguing story that Max Shreck actually is a vampire. Also stars one of my all time favourite actors/idols/object of lust..Wilem Dafoe. We'll see more of him later in the festival (o, if only!)

1 comment:

Kevin Musgrove said...

Definitely, again. I was lucky enough to see Nosferatu back in my student days and was completely hooked.